Thursday, February 10, 2011

Preview: My Art and Inspiration

As promised, this blog will include images of my own art. But why?

My main interest in doing this placement as a teaching assistant is to explore the intersections of art history and art production. How does the study of art history affect art production? And, alternatively, how does studio experience affect one's perception of art history? One way I will look at these intersections is to look at the content and influences apparent in my own art.

I have mentioned in previous posts that I am a primarily self-taught artist. To me, "self-taught" refers to a lack of strict or one-on-one instruction. Now, this does not mean that I haven't taken art classes; on the contrary, I took general arts foundation, photography, textiles, sculpture, and Studio AP in high school and I took a life-study drawing class a few summers ago. But most of my art has been influenced by other artists. Let's look at some examples!

Inspiration: Northfork (Polish, 2003)
Resulting Work: The Guardian



















And another...

Inspiration: Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960)















Resulting Work: (No) Vacancy




















I won't include an additional image but my Hitchcock graphic novel page was greatly inspired by the work of Frank Miller and his masterpiece Sin City.

Inspiration: Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
Resulting Work: Le Petit Citoyen




















And finally, a looser association...

Inspiration: Slave Ship (Turner, ca. 1840)















Resulting Work: Turner / Face




















Turner / Face was also heavily influenced by a fantastic graffiti piece I found in a book. Anyway, that was a simple preview, a nice introduction, to my own work and the art that has inspired me in the past.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment